Pages

August 18, 2011

Homemade Nutirgrain Type Ceral Bars


A few months ago while searching for a good granola recipe I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade cereal bars.  I tucked the recipe away and have been meaning to make it, this morning was the day, I had everything I needed and the kids were occupied with playing so I snuck into the kitchen and got to work.

Here is how I made these, I changed up the original just a bit.

You will need

1 cup of butter (soft)
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp almond extract
20 oz of fruit preserves

In a mixer, mix the butter and sugar until it is creamed.  Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix until a nice even crumbly consistency.  Put half of the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and press it down firm.  Next put the preserves over the bottom layer ( I used blue berry jam and apple butter two make two different flavors of bars).  Then put the rest of the the crumbs and spread them over the top of the preserves.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

These turned out so good and are so very easy to make, I think this may become my go to recipe for breakfast and brunch pot lucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment