Pages

January 13, 2011

Brighten Up Dreary Days

On my last trip to IKEA I randomly bought some pillow forms.  That's a problem with IKEA I buy a lot of random things, good thing I don't live closer.

I bought them and thought I could make cute covers for them, and then they got stuck in my studio, and buried, and almost forgotten about.  Then I remembered and an idea started to come into my head.  I had umbrella and rain drop fabric I had bought ages ago.  I don't even remember what I was going to make with them but I knew I could come up with a  very cute spring pillow with some of it.


Oh goodness did I really just type all that without showing a picture? Sorry about that.


I have been wanting to do a Union Jack project for a while, they are all over the gift shops here and I thought it would just be fun.


I used wonder under to fuse the ribbon and rick rack to the rain drop back ground.  Applique and piping are new for me.  I have no idea why I have not used piping before, it really adds a great touch to the fabric.

Perfect for sitting in the window seat and watching the rain fall.  Don't tell Olivia this is done, the whole time I was making this she was ready to claim it!  If I can sneak it into hiding it might just be a birthday present.

I designed my own sew in labels the other day.



I also got over my dislike of zippers, this one didn't fight me at all, but then I was not trying to hide it like I do on clothing.

Hand embroidery along the umbrella adds a special touch.  Now go out and do some puddle jumping!

I'm joining the Blogger's Pillow Party over at Stitched in Color, go on over and check out the other great pillows.
Blogger's Pillow Party

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I have a ton of IKEA pillows too that i need to do up...i think i'll make a union jack one for my living room too!!

    Love to see you using the piping too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fab pillow! Such a lovely design and the umbrella really sets it off. Was the piping easy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piping was much easier than I thought it would be, I used a zipper foot and only had to take out about an inch where one of the fabrics had slipped a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love that puddle pillow! It is going in my inspiration folder for sure!

    ReplyDelete