Pages

February 10, 2012

Simple Yoga Waist Skirt Tutorial

Sometimes when I'm randomly surfing the web I see stuff I would really like to make.  Sometimes I read the tutorial fully, file it away on Pinterest or bookmark it.  Sometimes I glance quickly say oh that looks pretty simple and go on to the next page.  This is one of the later so I have no idea where the original tutorial that inspired me is at.

What you will need:
  • Knit fabric with a decent amount of stretch (how much will depend on what size and style of skirt you are making)
  • a yard stick
  • a tape measure
  • cutting tools
  • a cutting mat if you plan to use a rotary cutter
  • tailors chalk or a marker
  • serger or sewing machine with a ball point needle and stretch or zig zag stitch.
Gather your materials.  You will need to take two measurements.  The first is your waist the second is how long you want your skirt.  Cut two lengths of fabric the desired length of your skirt plus any hem allowance you wish to leave.  Lay these two pieces of fabric folded in half length wise on your cutting surface. 
Now for some math.  You will need to take your waist measurement and divide it by 4, so if you have a 32 inch waist your number will be 8 inches.  On your fabric mark 8 inches from the folded edge of the fabric.
Then using your yard stick mark a line down the length of the fabric.  You can make this straight or flare it out as I did here.


Using a rotary cutter or scissors cut down the line you just drew.
Now cut out your waist band.  I used a contrasting fabric for this skirt.  I cut two pieces that were half of my waist measurement by 6 inches.
Sew the side seams on your skirt right sides together.
Sew the side of your waist band together the same way.  Then fold the waist band in half line up the side seams with the main skirt body and sew right sides together.
The last step is to put in your hem.  There are a number of techniques you can use from a simple shirt tail hem to cover stitched hems.  I choose to finish mine with a lettuce edge that is simply a tightly serged edge with the knit fabric pulled tight as I ran it through my serger to give it a ruffled look.
This skirt took about 30 minutes to complete start to finish.  It can easily be made from toddler through adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment